Dr. August Wallace - Optometrist
August Wallace has been a practicing optometrist since 2007. He earned his Doctor of Optometry and BS in vision science degrees from Nova Southeastern University in Miami, Florida. He also holds a BS in chemistry from the University of New Orleans.
Dr. Wallace specializes in providing primary eye care, including treatment and management of eye diseases, gas permeable and soft contact lenses, low vision, children's vision, and pre- and post-op care for LASIK, PRK, cataract and glaucoma surgeries.
In his free time, he enjoys all elements of soccer and computers.
Here are a few fast facts about Dr. Wallace
- No one calls him August. It’s Augie.
- He discovered that he wanted to be an eye doctor after making glasses for patients in a New Orleans optometry office. He quickly moved up to being an optician who helped people select the right eyewear and then on to being an optometric technician who helped during exams. He made such an impression on the patients and the doctor that they all encouraged him to become an eye doctor himself.
- He is really good with kids. Dr. Wallace is very calm and friendly with children, and he spends a lot of time explaining things to them so that they can understand. He is also immensely patient with wiggly ones. Dr. Wallace sees patients as young as 6-months-old.
- He understands the vision needs and frustrations of older adults. Dr. Wallace was honored to spend part of his training providing eye care services to our nation’s older veterans. He has extensive experience working with older adults who are facing age-related eye issues.
- He’s big on education. Dr. Wallace wants you to know and understand what is going on with your eyes. He takes the time to explain things to his patients, discuss options and find the best solut
- Because of his involvement with youth soccer, Dr. Wallace is a strong advocate for protective eyewear for all sports participants.
- He thinks Longview is a great place to work, live and play. There are friendly folks, great schools, community spirit, super sports, wonderful places of worship and so much more.
Even though the Wallaces are new to the area, their son already plays soccer with AC Longview, and they are members of Mobberly Baptist Church. They also tell friends, “We may not have been born in Texas, but we got here as quickly as we could.”
- His wife, Helen, is the co-owner and manager of the practice. Dr. Wallace worked with other private optometry practices in the past and always dreamed of his own practice. August Wallace Eyecare Associates is the family's dream of owning their own practice.